Exploring the Different Types of Rolled Roofing
- September 28, 2023
- EA Chimney and Roofing Corp.
Regarding roofing materials, a wide range of options, including different types of rolled roofing, are available, each with unique characteristics and benefits. Rolled roofing is one such option that has gained popularity for its affordability, ease of installation, and durability.
If you’re considering rolled roofing for your home or commercial property, it’s essential to understand the various types available and their suitability for different applications. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the world of rolled roofing, exploring the different types, their advantages, and how to choose the right one for your roofing project.
Types of Rolled Roofing
Rolled roofing comes in several types, each designed to meet specific roofing needs. Let’s take a closer look at two of the most common types:
1. Asphalt Roll Roofing
Asphalt roll roofing is the most well-known and widely used type of rolled roofing. It’s a cost-effective option for low-slope roofs, such as sheds, porches, and garages. Here are some key features and benefits of asphalt roll roofing:
- Affordability: Asphalt roll roofing is budget-friendly, making it an excellent choice for homeowners on a tight budget.
- Ease of Installation: It’s relatively easy to install, making it a popular DIY option for small roofing projects.
- Durability: Proper maintenance means asphalt roll roofing can last up to 10 years.
- Weather Resistance: It protects against the elements, including rain and UV rays.
- Variety of Styles: Asphalt roll roofing is available in various colors and styles to match your aesthetic preferences.
However, it’s important to note that asphalt roll roofing may not be the best choice for steep-slope roofs due to its limited lifespan and susceptibility to damage from severe weather conditions.
2. Modified Bitumen Roll Roofing
Modified bitumen roll roofing, also known as “mod bit,” is another popular choice for rolled roofing. It offers enhanced durability and is particularly well-suited for low-slope and flat roofs. Here are some critical advantages of modified bitumen roll roofing:
- Durability: Modified bitumen roofing is highly durable and can last 20 years or more with proper care.
- Flexibility: It remains flexible even in cold temperatures, reducing the risk of cracking.
- Waterproofing: This roofing type provides excellent waterproofing capabilities, preventing water infiltration.
- Energy Efficiency: Some modified bitumen products are designed to reflect sunlight, helping to relax your property and potentially reducing energy costs.
- Easy Repairs: Repairs are relatively straightforward if damage occurs, and individual sections can be replaced without a complete roof replacement.
Modified bitumen roofing is often used in commercial roofing applications but can also be a suitable choice for residential properties with flat or low-slope roofs.
Choosing the Right Rolled Roofing for Your Project
Now that you’re familiar with two common types of rolled roofing, let’s discuss choosing the right one for your roofing project. Consider the following factors:
- Roof Slope: Determine the slope of your roof. Asphalt roll roofing is better suited for low-slope roofs, while modified bitumen is ideal for flat and low-slope roofs.
- Budget: Consider your budget constraints when selecting a rolled roofing material. Asphalt roll roofing is generally more affordable than modified bitumen.
- Climate: Take into account the temperature in your area. Modified bitumen offers better weather resistance and durability, making it a better choice for regions with extreme weather conditions.
- Installation: Assess whether you plan to install the roofing yourself or hire a professional. Asphalt roll roofing is easier for DIY installation, while modified bitumen may require professional expertise.
In conclusion, rolled roofing offers a cost-effective and practical solution for various roofing needs. Understanding the different types, such as asphalt roll roofing and modified bitumen, allows you to decide based on your specific requirements and preferences. Whether you’re looking to re-roof a shed or protect a commercial property, rolled roofing has options that can meet your needs.
Are you ready to take the next step towards a safer and more secure home or business? Look no further than EA Chimney & Roofing for all your roofing and chimney needs. Our experienced team is committed to delivering top-notch service, whether you need roofing repairs, chimney inspections, or installation of high-quality rolled roofing.