Repointing brick is a crucial process that most professionals do to remove the deteriorated mortar masonry from the joints between the bricks. All this with the objective of applying a new mortar layer to achieve a more aesthetically pleasing result. Moreover, it makes the property more stable.
Why Is It Important To Repointing Brick?
First of all, it’s important to clarify what mortar is.
It is a valid question when you are thinking of doing Repointing Brick. In detail, mortar is a thick paste combined with materials such as cement, fine sand, and water. Specially used to glue all sorts of stones, bricks, and masonry projects.
Thus, what is the importance of repointing bricks?
Repointing brick is essential if you want all the elements at your property to look good. Since it can be frustrating and stressful to see your walls, walkways, fences, and chimneys made of bricks and stones deteriorate over time and cause an accident.
By the end, you will spend more money than just a brick-pointing project.
Repointing bricks help to prevent
- Leaks and damp
- Prevents structure collapse
- It helps you save money in the long run.
How To Do Repointing Brick?
Furthermore, with these easy steps, you can repoint all your brick and stone elements to look good and in perfect condition again.
- Foremost, clear the area with water where you are going to do the repointing.
- After that, remove the old mortar with a joint raker to achieve a neat surface.
- Brush out all loose particles and the excess dust
- Make a new mortar mix (Paste)
- In a masonry tower or hawk, put the mortar mix
- Next, with a margin trowel masonry, grab a little of the mortar mix
- Then fill up the joints
- Remove any excess mortar left on the bricks with a brush
- Overall, repeat all the processes until you finish
- Most importantly, let it dry for 24 hours
- Check the finished results
By following these steps, you can ensure a high-rate result. However, you will require other elements to complete the project. But don’t worry, we will give you the correct information.
Materials and Tools to Repointing Brick
Besides the process you learned before, here is the crucial equipment you must use to complete the task. Naturally, you need to get these essential materials and tools if you want excellent and flawless results because masonry is more than just cement or mortar.
- Mortar Mix
- Joint Raker
- Masonry Hawk
- Pointing Trowel
- Margin Trowel Masonry
- Masonry Brush
- It’s crucial to wear protective goggles to prevent dust from entering your eyes.
Tips for Repointing Brick
- Have all the tools you will work with near you.
- Clean the area equally before and after doing the project.
- Wear protective goggles and gloves.
- Work with a process and in small sections.
- Start from the top to the bottom.
- Frequently water the area where you will start working to keep the dust away.
How Long Does The Mortar Last?
Depending on the exposure to different weather conditions. In the end, the typical lifetime of the mortar is around 20 to 30 years.
However, if you are worried, that is time to do a repointing brick project. In this case, with a knife, scratch the mortar surface; if the pieces fall quickly, it is time for a repointing project.
Professional Services for your Projects Needs
Now you understand all the processes of repointing brick and essential tips to do an excellent project. In the case that you don’t have time to do a repointing brick project. You can reach out to EA Chimney & Roofing.
We are a licensed and insured company with over 15 years of experience providing brick-pointing services. Without a doubt, for more information, contact us.