If you want to protect your roof from the external environment, roof shingles are the best option. There exist different types of roof shingles, but today you are going to discover the most common and durable ones.
Roofing shingle’s primary function is to safeguard your house roof from different weather conditions and, at the same time, add an aesthetic appearance to your house. Also, most shingles work to repel the water and snow. It is vital to count on shingle roof maintenance processes to make them last for years.
Keep reading this blog to discover what type of shingle roof is the best option for your home!
5 Types of Roof Shingles for Your Home
Do you want to protect your roof? Here are 5 of the most common types of shingles you can use for your home:
- Slate tile roof shingle
- Asphalt shingles: 3-Tab, dimensional, and luxury
- Composite shingles
- Metal shingles
- Solar shingles (photovoltaic shingles)
Slate Tile Roof Shingle
Slate tiles are one of the most long-lasting types of shingles, and they add value and elegance to your house. This type of shingle can last more than 100 years due to the stone-resistant to fire, moisture, and external weather conditions.
Moreover, slate tile roof shingles tend to be expensive due to their durability and aesthetic properties. Besides, most homeowners prefer to install a cost-effective shingle rather than a poor one.
One central aspect to consider is that slates tiles are heavy, so not all structures resist the material.
Benefits you can Get!
Some fantastic advantages you can get with Slate Tile Roof Shingle are:
- This type of shingle should be routinely built to last at least a century. Actually, 150 years is a reasonable expectation of a roof’s longevity if the roof is constructed correctly. A significant advantage since other shingles tend to deteriorate in 5-8 years.
- Eco-friendly, Roofing waste accounts for more than 5 percent of the total waste sent to landfills across the nation every year. But with this type of shingle, not Only the lasting you will be taking care of but also your wallet.
- Plenty of options to choose the style that goes more into you. They range from textural and graduated installations to mixed colors and patterns.
Asphalt Shingles: 3-Tab, Luxury, and Dimensional
Asphalt shingles are the most common type of shingle among American houses due to their low cost. Usually, they last over 30 years, depending on the kind of environment you live in. Besides, they have a protective waterproof layer to protect the roof from heavy rains and sun rays.
Asphalt shingles are famous for the different designs there exist in the market. Actually, the 3-tap design is the cheaper shingle in the market. While dimensional and luxury tend to be expensive, they are installed following some architectural patterns.
3-tab, luxury, and dimensional asphalt shingles imitate wood, slate, and other expensive types of shingles for a lower price.
Composite shingle is also known as synthetic shingle, and it is another standard option for your home. This type of shingle lasts around 15 years or less, depending on the maintenance. The name derives from the different sustainable and engineered materials it contains.
Composite is another type of shingle that can imitate the style of asphalt and wood shingles, but composite can be a little bit expensive depending on the size of your roof. Indeed, it is an excellent option for residential homes.
The average roofing installation price for a composite shingle roof costs anywhere will be depending on the slope and size of the roof. It’s highly recommended that before doing a contract, a roofing specialist should go and examine your home, and which is the best option for you. It can be expected to be $4 to $6 per sq. foot.
Metal shingles are another typical option among residential houses, especially for their lifespan. Usually, this type of shingle can last more than 100 years, and there exist different metal materials like aluminum, standard steel, and galvanized steel.
If you think that a metal shingle will produce too much heat, you misunderstand because some are specifically designed for reflecting the heat. Besides, metal shingles are expensive, but they are cost-effective.
Some disadvantages of metal shingles are linked to the corrosion and noisy characteristics when it is raining. So, if you like silence, you need to look for another type.
Solar Shingles (Photovoltaic Shingles)
This type of shingle is relatively new, but it is getting popular among residential houses. Solar shingles look like asphalt and slate shingles, and through the sun’s solar energy, they generate power for your home.
As they protect and produce energy simultaneously, solar shingles are expensive but cost-effective.
Solar Shingles Advantages
Some impressive advantages that you will be able to earn with a Solar shingle are the following:
- Solar roof shingles are more aesthetically pleasing, enhancing the appearance of your home while adding value.
- Shingles are typically quicker to install, making it a simple and not too dangerous task.
- They can be more cost-effective if you need a roof replacement anyway
- Solar Shingles have, will last somewhere between 25 and 30 years (with the proper maintenance)
Do You Need a Roofing Contractor?
Now that you learn 5 of the most common types of shingles, it’s the moment to start working on your project. If you need a roofing contractor, you can use our communication channels to contact us.